Home What's on News Useful information About our village Photogallery
A History Epwell (pronounced locally as “Epull”) lies between 500 and 600 feet above sea level. The small stream flowing through the lower village joins the Cherwell which in turns flows into the Thames.  The ford in the village is known as “The Plank”. It is thought that Epwell is named for Eoppa’s Well – probably Anglo Saxon. The Church of St Anne’s stands just outside the original Anglo-Saxon stockade or enclosure.  By 1185 this had become “Eppewella” and by 1537 “Eppewell”. In 1377 the village had a population of 59 paying Poll Tax compared to 27 in Sibford Gower. Epwell began to benefit from its position as a midway point along the main road from Banbury to Shipston-on-Stour.  All that changed with the Enclosure Acts (1773 for Epwell) and then by the construction of the turnpike road (now the B4035) which effectively by-passed Epwell. So the 19th century opened with Epwell very much in decline as a community.  However we do now benefit from these changes in that Epwell is no “ribbon village” and its charm lies in its peace not to mention the safety it affords for the children of the village. Nat Taylor wrote a publication called Epwell, a village a history – a copy will be in the Archive Collection.  Another pamphlet of interest is Epwell – a short general history by Rev John Stewart, who was Rector of Epwell from 1970 to 1975. The Archive Collection is looked after by Eric Kaye and Peter Neal, and contains a marvellous record of past and present village life in photographs and written material.  From time to time the Archives are put out on display in the Village Hall.
About our village